07 April 2010

Synergy between Ubuntu and OS X

I use Synergy to share one set of mouse and keyboard between my workstation PC, running Ubuntu 10.04 and my laptop sitting on my desk next to my workstation screen. The laptop is running OS X.

How about not raising your hands off your keyboard and mouse when you have to do stuff on that laptop? Greetings Synergy

Here is how I configured it.

On OS X, the keboard+mouse -client
... I followed one of the suggested steps on synergys website. Copy&Paste:

# sudo su -
# defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook
# sudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginWindow
# sudo vi LoginHook.sh

#!/bin/sh
prog=(/opt/synergy-1.3.1/synergyc 192.168.3.47)
killall ${prog[0]##*/}
exec "${prog[@]}"

# sudo chmod 755 /Library/LoginWindow/LoginHook.sh
# defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginWindow/LoginHook.sh

On Ubuntu, the server with mouse+keyboard attached
... the guide wasn't that much help as it wasn't specific for any distribution, so I decided to just put the startup after gdm is fired up.
# sudo vi /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default

killall synergys
sleep 1
/usr/bin/synergys -c /etc/synergy.conf &

My /etc/synergy.conf looks like this:

section: screens
finnbuntu:
finnmac.local:
end

section: links
finnbuntu:
right = finnmac.local
finnmac.local:
left = finnbuntu
end

/Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment