13 April 2010

sshfs - brilliantly simple

Got another linux/unix -box sitting somewhere in your home? I do, and I want _everything_ available to me from where I sit at my desktop.

I've used nfs quite a bit in the past, while quite easy to set-up it's a hassle compared to the simpleness of sshfs. And setting up samba is like getting skinned alive on this scale.

(ubuntu)
#apt-get install sshfs

(ubuntu, the other machine / slave)
#apt-get install openssh-server

put this in /etc/fstab, and you can on-demand mount/unmount the other computer when you see fit:

sshfs#finn@10.0.0.53:/ /home/finn/theslavecomputer fuse noauto,defaults,users,idmap=user 0 0

Now you have the root of the filesystem of the other machine sitting in your home directory. Sweet?

#mount theslavecomputer
... any time you need it. I prefer not using auto mount as I only need access to the other machine like 1 in 20 times I boot. A good rule on fstab in my experience is to not put a lot of stuff on auto-mount. It will get you in trouble when booting eventually which makes you so miserable you'll not click 'like' on any comments you'll read Facebook that day.

Tip: make this password less by uploading the public certificate. Google it and you'll get a step-by-step in a sec.

/Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment